Thursday, January 28, 2010

clearer? Cynicism vs. Conan take 2


i felt the need to add to yesterday's post after reading comments and talking to friends. i think the general craziness i bring to the world has tainted somewhat my intentions in this reflection on Conan's words. i didn't intend for it to seem downtrodden. to clarify:

i was surprisingly touched catching up with that last show over my laptop and had one of those "damn, they's is talking to me" moments when Conan looked into the camera:  "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."  

 and i felt myself rebel.  i'm a good person. i work hard and am nice to people.  and i wanted to say: i am not a cynic. which gave me pause.  that confusion is what led me to blog-it-out.

just how much of a cynic am i? how much of that latent struggle between happiness/depression/cynicism/naivete hold me back from achieving what i seek?  does even my own humor hold me back?

and yet, part of what i am, shaping the cartoon caricature of my soul, is that tug-of-war between skeptic and dreamer.  singer and weeper. story-teller and loner.

the chubby girl in the funny costume, saying "yeah? that's right. i'm a butterfly. deal."

and yet, Conan begs, don't be a cynic.  can i bypass the question by denying the struggle and faking peace till i am at peace?

would that solve anything at all?

clearer now? bees.

Cover me with your revelation 
Cover me with your sorrows tale 
Cover me with your holy water  
Cover me, dancing virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails